Hearty Lentil Soup
Don’t you love a good soup on a cold winter day?! I personally could eat soup all the time but my kids can be picky so there are only a few they like. This is one of them! They probably wouldn’t eat it if it didn’t have pasta in it but whatever works, right?
This recipe is from Giada DeLaurentis & I’ve been making it for a few years. I was a vegetarian for a while when I discovered this recipe! Vegetarian or not – this is just a great soup!
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt & pepper
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup lentils
10 cups low-salt chicken broth
4 fresh thyme sprigs
2/3 cup dried elbow pasta
1 cup Parmesan, shredded
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, & celery.
- Add garlic, salt & pepper & sauté until the veggies are tender.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices & simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the lentils & mix to coat. Add broth & stir. Add thyme sprigs.
- bring to a boil over high heat then cover & simmer over low heat until lentils are almost tender (about 30 minutes).
- Stir in pasta. Simmer until pasta is tender but still firm to the bite.
- Ladle into bowls , sprinkle with Parmesan & serve.
Did you try this recipe? What did you think?